MEMPHIS, Tenn. — An arrest warrant for a man accused of harassing a Shelby County Commissioner was issued.
George Johnson, 46-years-old, is wanted on misdemeanor assault charges.
FOX13 reported Tuesday that Shelby County Commissioner Tami Sawyer and a volunteer with the Sons of Confederate Veterans were in a heated argument at the plaza where the remains of Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest and his wife were being removed.
Since then, Sawyer said she and her family received vulgar death threats.
“He could have, you know, said what we wanted, he could have sung Dixie, and it would have just been a situation, but you know once you start talking about what you’re going to do to my body, that’s a whole another situation. Black women were beaten and raped under the Confederate flag, and that ends now,” said Commissioner Tami Sawyer.
George Johnson was one of the men helping out with the removal process at the Forrest gravesite.
Sawyer said she doesn’t feel any safer with the arrest warrant.
“You throw a rock in a bee’s nest you know what’s going to happen, not necessary, but I feel like a point was proven, that there’s a limit to your expression,” she said.
Sawyer said as an elected official, she was able to see some resolution faster than most.
“The system is overly complex in a way that if you don’t have the right connections, you could be waiting for a very long time,” said Commissioner Sawyer. “I think one of the biggest things I realized this week was people who fear for their safety don’t have an easy road to feel safe again.”
Sawyer said she is still collecting and monitoring the social media threats and messages she’s received this week, but she hasn’t filed a separate police report for those at this time.
©2021 Cox Media Group