Bond denied for man accused of murdering Ole Miss student

OXFORD, Miss. — A Mississippi judge denied bond for the man charged in the murder of a missing Ole Miss graduate.

22-year-old Sheldon Timothy Herrington, of Grenada, Miss., has been charged in the murder of Jimmie ‘Jay’ Lee, who was last seen July 8 in Oxford.

Law enforcement agencies said they are still working to locate Lee’s body.

Herrington appeared in court Tuesday for a bond hearing.

MORE: FOX13 continues to look into the murder of Ole Miss student Jimmie ‘Jay’ Lee

Investigators shared some of the evidence they say led them to Herrington as a suspect.

Oxford Police Detective Ryan Baker told the court video from Lee’s apartment shows him leaving early in the morning on July 8.

The detective also testified there is video of Lee on the road in other places around Oxford

Det. Baker said Herrington told investigators he had a sexual relationship with Lee.

According to investigators, on the morning Lee disappeared, a man was seen running from Molly Barr Trails Apartments just minutes after Lee’s car was seen driving in.

Investigators said that man captured on video was Herrington.

They said he ran down the road and caught a ride from a friend at a gas station in a white Kia.

Police later pulled that Kia over. Herrington was inside wearing the same clothes as the man captured on video.

Investigators said social media and Google records put Lee at Herrington’s apartment around 6 a.m. the day he disappeared.

According to Baker, social media data show Herrington and Lee communicating up until 6:00 that morning, just minutes before he said Herrington Googled, “How long does it take to strangle somebody?”

Detectives said Lee’s phone showed him in the area of Herrington’s apartment at the time.

On the stand, Lee’s mother cried.

She said the day her son disappeared was her birthday. He messaged her a happy birthday wish early in the morning. She says that is the last she heard from him.

Laquannah Beasley, Lee’s cousin, sat outside the courthouse wearing a Justice For Jay Lee shirt. She said she doesn’t know what to think.

“My shirt is for justice for Jay Lee because at this point they don’t have a body, and I am not sure if he is even dead. We are just looking for justice right now,” Beasley said.

PHOTOS: Police searching for missing Ole Miss student, officials say

Det. Baker testified that at 5:37 that morning, Lee posted a video on Snapchat that he was afraid Herrington was trying to lure him to beat him.

Baker said that 17 minutes later, Lee Snapchated Herrington that he was coming to his apartment.

According to Baker, Herrington told police he and Lee had a sexual relationship and that they had argued on July 8 before Lee left.

Baker told the court that investigators served search warrants on Herington’s apartment, where they used cadaver dogs. Those dogs sniff out dead bodies or where they have been.

Baker said the dogs hit four times in Herrington’s apartment: three times in the bedroom and one time in the living room.

According to Baker, a crime scene technician also found evidence in Herrington’s SUV, including a blonde hair like Lee had, on the back passenger side seat. Cadaver dogs also hit in the back cargo area and the front of the car.

Baker also testified that when the cargo area was put under fluorescent light to identify the presence of bodily fluids, there was what appeared to be fluid in the shape of a foot.

Baker said Herrington took a moving truck from his Oxford moving business to his parents’ house, where cameras captured him loading gardening tools into the truck.

Baker said cadaver dogs hit in the front driver’s side of the truck, on moving blankets in the back of the truck and on a garbage can in the truck.

Herrington’s attorney asked if there was any trace evidence that Lee was dead, that the cadaver dog had ‘hit’ on physical evidence of a crime.

The detective said no physical evidence exists that Lee is dead.

Lee’s mom said there’s no way he would go without contacting her for 30 days.

According to the detective, a friend of Lee’s said he spoke with Lee around 6 a.m. the day of his disappearance. He said Lee said he had a fight with someone and blocked that person on social media. The blocked person contacted Lee through a different name, the detective said. Lee reportedly went to meet that person again at 5:58 a.m. that morning.