Child found dead in house fire overnight in South Memphis

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A small child was found unresponsive when Memphis firefighters responded to a house fire in South Memphis Monday.

According to investigators, the fire happened on W. Frank Ave. just before 2 a.m.

When they arrived, firefighters reported heavy smoke visible from the one-story wood-frame home. The fire was brought under control at 2:09 a.m.

While searching inside the house, Firefighters said they found a small child unresponsive on the bedroom floor. She was pronounced dead on the scene.

The victim’s name and age have not been released pending positive identification.

The cause of death is pending the Shelby County Medical Examiner’s Report.

Two adults were taken to the Regional One to be treated for anxiety. A child was taken to LeBonheur Children’s Hospital for observation.

Fire investigators said the home did not have a working smoke alarm.

The origin and cause of the fire were determined to be accidental as a result of a child playing with a candle in the bedroom.

Red Cross provided assistance for one adult and two children.