COLLIERILLE, Tenn. — Collierville Schools announced it will suspend the next two varsity football games after two cases of COVID-19 were confirmed Wednesday.
Everything seemed somewhat normal just a week ago. Under the Friday night lights last Friday, Collierville football opened it’s 2020 season.
Not even a week later, though, the season has been put to a halt, for now.
In a release, Collierville Schools announced two confirmed cases of COVID-19 specific to the varsity football team.
According to a tweet from the school “both cases are specific to our high school varsity football team.”
The release goes on to say the district’s top priorities are protecting students, families and staff. With this, the decision has been made to suspend the next two varsity football games against Milan on August 28th and Munford on September 4th.
FOX13 spoke with Collierville communications specialist Mario Hogue. He said the two individuals who have tested positive are following Shelby County and TSSAA health guidelines.
He also said those who have been in contact with the two individuals have been notified.
According to the TSSAA, anyone who has symptoms or has tested positive must isolate at home for 10 days from the start of their symptoms or date tested if asymptomatic.
They must be fever-free without the use of fever-reducing medications and have improvement with symptoms for at least 24 hours.
Anyone who has been within 6 feet for 10 minutes or longer of anyone who is suspected to have it or confirmed must quarantine at home for 14 days from last exposure to the individual.
The Dragons played Briarcrest last week. In a statement to FOX13, Briarecrest said only one of the two Collierville players played in the game.
The statement also says that after information was reported to the Shelby County Health Department, Collierville was told there was no need to notify Briarcrest for contact tracing.
Following the next two canceled games, Collierville’s next game would be September 11 at Southaven.
© 2020 Cox Media Group