Local Congressman accuses colleague of giving tour before Capitol attack

WASHINGTON D.C. — Memphis’ representative in the White House is making headlines for his claim about a new colleague and what he had to say about the makeup of the military forces guarding Washington D.C. this week.

Congressman Steve Cohen told CNN Monday freshman republican Lauren Bobert gave a tour in the days before the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

The claim came as questions are swirling about the possibility some members of Congress may have given tours to people involved in the attack.

Congressman Cohen said he doesn’t know if anyone in that tour later took part in the Capitol riot.

Meanwhile, Congresswoman Boebert is firing back about the accusations.

Cohen is receiving criticism after he claimed he saw Congresswoman Lauren Boebert taking a group of people on a tour sometime after Jan. 3 and before Jan. 6.

He claims he was walking in a tunnel and says Boebert had a large group with her.

It’s not clear if that group had anything thing to do with the riot at the Capitol, but that didn’t stop Cohen, a Democrat from Memphis, from calling out his new colleague from Colorado.

“It’s pretty clear her team, she’s not on the home team she was with the visitors,” Rep. Cohen said.

Boebert released a statement on her website to Cohen.

It reads in part, “During your interview with CNN, you made false, slanderous statements that have threatened the safety of my family, my staff and me.”

She’s not the only one whose motives Cohen is questioning.

Cohen has even more concerns about National Guard troops responsible for protecting people in Washington D.C. during the inauguration.

“There are probably not more than 25% of the people that are there protecting us who voted for Biden,” he said. “The other 75% are in the class, the large class of folks who might want to do something, and there were military people and police who took oaths to defend the constitution and protect and defend who didn’t do it who were in the insurrection, so it does concern me.”

Retired Four-Star General Jack Keane, a FOX News analyst, told FOX Business Tuesday Congressman Cohen should apologize for what he said about the National Guard.

We wanted to talk to Cohen Tuesday about all this, but his office said he was not available.