MFD: Fire at Peppertree Apartments leasing office caused by electrical equipment malfunction

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Peppertree Apartment fire caused by electrical equipment malfunction, MFD says

The Memphis Fire Department (MFD) is on the scene of a fire at a local apartment complex, MFD said.

PHOTOS: Fire at Peppertree Apartments, heavy smoke seen in area

According to officials, MFD responded to the 4200 block of Graceland Drive to the Peppertree Apartments’ Leasing Office for a fire.

When FOX13 crews arrived, they saw heavy smoke coming from inside the apartment complex.

“Our first concern was making sure it didn’t affect any of our kids, no one’s displaced,” said Teddrick Estes, Hillcrest High School Principal. “Not going to say I was happy it was the leasing office, but I’m glad it wasn’t an actual apartment.”

Hillcrest High School is across the street from the complex.

“I’ve been here seven years and we rarely have anything that happens in here directly affect us. But, a lot of the things that go on there concern us because it’s so close to the school, so we would like to see it get cleaned up. We hear a lot from people about it being a public nuisance and it being shut down, and my concern with that is also making sure that those people who are removed from there have somewhere to stay,” Estes said.

Officials said the fire was brought under control just before 6:30 a.m.

There weren’t any civilian or firefighter injuries.

“If it’s not one thing it’s another. First, it’s something else, then it’s this. Lord, I’m tired of it. It’s frustrating and then it’s sad because I live by myself and I ain’t got nowhere else to go,” said Connie Huddleston, tenant. “This is my home. Families that’s got kids they’re scared. I’m just worried. I’ve had four people telling me ‘you need to move, I’m scared for your life, I’m this, I’m that,’ Ok, well I have to do what I have to do. Where can I go?”

According to MFD, the fire started in the attic area due to an electrical equipment malfunction and there was about $100,000 in damages.

Even though no homes were affected by the fire, it is still a loss for the community.

Red Door Ministries operated out of the leasing office. The ministry provides wrap-around services for children in the area, including food and tutoring.

“Our good friend Pastor Eric Watkins runs the Red Door Ministries, which operates out of the leasing office so we wanted to make sure he’s okay and he’s things are ok. He provides wrap-around services for these students.” Estes said. “After school care which we also do as well, but he feeds those kids, provides tutoring and a myriad of other things that the kids really do need.”