First case of the coronavirus confirmed in Shelby County, health department says

First case of the coronavirus confirmed in Shelby County, health department says
Coronavirus default

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Shelby County Health Department confirmed there is a case of the coronavirus in the county.

The patient recently traveled out of state and they do not believe there is a risk for the public at large, the health department said.

Content Continues Below

The health department said the patient is at Baptist Memorial Hospital.

They are in ‘good condition’ and are in an air-pressurized room. They will be quarantined for 14 days.

The health department will be holding press conferences every Wednesday for the time being.

If you believe you may have been exposed to the coronavirus or are experiencing symptoms the health department is asking, if you feel healthy, to immediately call your doctor because there is a chance you might be able to self-quarantine at home.

During the news conference, city and county leaders said they are adjusting policies to make it easier for their employees who are sick to stay home.

They are urging other large businesses to do the same. FOX13 has reached out to FedEx, International Paper, Autozone, Shelby County Schools, St. Jude Children’s Research Hosptial and more to find out if they are changing policies.

The City of Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said all city buildings were sanitized last week and all first responders are “well prepared” for the situation.

“The city stands ready to help the state and county governments in any way we can,” Mayor Strickland said.

WATCH THE NEWS CONFERENCE HERE: