SHELBY COUNTY, Tenn. — Flu shots are now available at all Shelby County Department of Health public health clinics.
The vaccines are available at two Immunization Clinics and at five other public health clinics located around Shelby County, SCHD said.
Vaccines are free for those with health insurance. For those without insurance, a sliding fee scale is available.
Vaccination against the influenza virus is recommended for anyone over the age of 6 months, SCHD said. Everyone is at risk, especially during influenza season, which usually runs from October to May each year, with the most cases in our region usually reported in February.
Influenza can cause serious illness and sometimes death. Certain groups of people are especially vulnerable and are strongly advised to get the vaccine:
- Children younger than 5 years of age–especially those younger than 2 years old– are at high risk of serious flu-related complications. The flu vaccine can protect them from the flu virus and prevent them from spreading it to others.
- Women who are currently pregnant or plan to become pregnant during the flu season are at increased risk of flu complications and should get the vaccine.
- Caregivers of children aged 5 and younger and household contacts and caregivers of adults with medical conditions that put them at increased risk.
- The flu vaccine is especially recommended for people with certain health conditions including:
- Chronic lung diseases, including asthma
- Heart disease
- Immunosuppression due to medication or illness
Getting a flu shot also helps protect those in our community who can’t get the vaccination, such as babies under 6 months of age and people with a severe allergy to the vaccine.
The flu vaccine is available at all SCHD clinics from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Note: the Collierville clinic is only open on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
No appointment is necessary, SCHD said.
Cawthon Public Health Clinic
1000 Haynes, 38114
Collierville Public Health Clinic (Tuesday and Thursday Only, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
167 Washington St., 38017
Hickory Hill Public Health Clinic
6590 Kirby Center Cove, 38118
814 Jefferson, Rm. 216, 38105
Millington Public Health Clinic
8225 Highway 51 North, 38053
Southland Mall Public Health Clinic
1287 Southland Mall, 38116
Shelby Crossing Public Health Clinic
1826 Sycamore View Road, 38134
For more information about influenza and the flu vaccine, visit SCHD website: www.shelbytnhealth.com.
©2022 Imagicomm Memphis, Inc.