Man arrested for machete standoff has history of pulling knives at Memphis restaurants

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A man is behind bars after a standoff with Shelby County Sheriff’s deputies outside a local McDonald’s, and records show he was arrested for a similar incident at another restaurant last year.

The latest incident unfolded at a McDonald’s in the 3800 block of Hacks Cross Monday evening, when the suspect allegedly hit a victim with an object around 6:20 p.m.

PHOTOS: Man with machete in standoff with SCSO deputies

Video obtained by FOX13 shows deputies with guns drawn, surrounding the man as he wielded a knife in the restaurant’s parking lot.

Deputies formed a line, holding the suspect with the machete at gunpoint while issuing commands to drop his weapon, the affidavit said.

The suspect did not comply, and deputies used pepper spray. A short time later, pepper spray was used again in the suspect’s face, but was ineffective.

Deputies continued to issue verbal commands and attempt to establish rapport with the man. He kept saying, “This is the end” and “Shoot me” while pointing to his forehead, and said, “There’s nothing to talk about.”

During this time, civilians were cleared from the area, the affidavit said.

McDonald’s employees told deputies that the suspect “shot through the glass then started hitting an employee.

The victim said he was hit multiple times in the back of the head, the affidavit said. No visible injuries were observed, and the victim left with his aunt.

Minutes later, another deputy arrived and administered a BolaWrap (a remote restraint device) three times, but this was ineffective.

At that time, the man pulled a small knife from his waistband.

Memphis Police (MPD) arrived and deployed a Taser, causing the suspect to fall to the ground.

According to the affidavit, the man pulled a Taser electrode out and began swinging the machete toward deputies.

The Taser was used a second time, and officers were able to subdue the suspect and take him into custody.

SCSO later confirmed he was armed with both a knife and machete.

Tevin D. Garrett, 30, is charged with Aggravated Assault, Simple Assault and Vandalism.

A shell casing was found on a sidewalk near McDonald’s.

Deputies also found a machete case, a backpack with three bottles of pills, and other miscellaneous items.

Tuesday morning, SCSO said Garrett had also cornered two victims at a Zaxby’s restaurant next to the McDonald’s before being subdued by law enforcement.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing.

MORE: Man with machete taken into custody after standoff outside McDonald’s, SCSO says

Garrett was allegedly involved in a similar incident at a local Half Shell restaurant in 2021, according to an affidavit.

On July 27, 2021, deputies responded to an aggravated assault in the 7800 block of Winchester regarding a man attempting to fight another man on the north side of the restaurant.

They saw a man holding two steak knives and walking in what appeared to be a disoriented fashion, according to the affidavit.

A security guard attempted to help deputies subdue the suspect.

Deputies attempted to talk to the suspect to see why he was upset, but he continued walking around brandishing the knives.

Deputies gave repeated verbal commands for the suspect to back away and drop the weapons, but he did not comply.

According to the affidavit, he kept saying, “Y’all gotta do what y’all gotta do. If y’all gotta take me out, take me out. Shoot me.”

A deputy attempted to approach the suspect, but he pointed the knives in her direction, officials said.

Deputies were able to persuade him to drop one knife, after which he reportedly said, “That’s all you get.”

The man continued walking around with the knife in his hand until the security guard approached from behind and hit him, the affidavit said.

He received medical attention after falling to the ground, and deputies were able to identify him as Garrett.

Garrett told them he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, psychotic schizophrenia, and autism, according to the affidavit.

He had no prior records of being emergency committed by SCSO.

He was taken to Regional One to be treated for possible injuries.

A man at the restaurant told deputies he had been changing a tire in the parking lot when Garrett approached him. He said Garrett kept getting closer, and he thought he would rob him using the knives in his hands.

According to the affidavit, the man grabbed a tire iron and hit Garrett in the head because he feared for his safety.

Garrett allegedly said, “I can take more than that,” according to the affidavit.

Employees at the Half Shell said they heard the altercation in the parking lot and went outside.

The witnesses said they attempted to get Garrett to leave, but he only backed up a few feet before the security guard attempted to apprehend him.

The security guard said Garrett swung the knives at him, but no one was injured during the incident, officials said.

Garrett was charged with Reckless Endangerment, 2 counts of Aggravated Assault, and Violation of Probation, records show.