MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A man has been indicted in the 2021 shooting deaths of a Berclair couple he had been living with, according to the Shelby County District Attorney’s Office.
Michael Barkley, 34, was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder.
He’s being held without bond.
According to the DA’s office, the shootings happened around 4 a.m. on Sept. 19 at a home in the 3800 block of Macon Road.
Barkley had been living there last summer with a man and his wife, officials said.
Investigators said Barkley had been told he would have to move out by the end of the month.
Barkley walked into the couple’s bedroom that morning and began shooting, hitting the man twice and his wife four times, according to the DA’s office.
The victims managed to run from the house, but the woman collapsed on the sidewalk. Her husband made it to a nearby gas station, where he asked the owner to call police.
The victims were taken to hospitals, where they died a few hours later, the DA said.
Barkley was identified as a suspect and was arrested that same morning at a relative’s home in the 600 block of Hudson St. in the Binghampton area.
The case is being handled by Chief Prosecutor Carrie Bush and by Asst. Dist. Atty. Chris Whitten of the District Attorney’s Vertical Team 4 which handles cases in General Sessions Division 12 and in Criminal Court Division 4.
©2022 Cox Media Group