MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Mayor Jim Strickland will meet with local activists.
Devonte Hill told FOX13 that the meeting will be held with himself, pastors and Frank Gotti.
Last Wednesday, activists, Strickland and Memphis Police Director Mike Rallings meet and spoke to the media before protests.
Hill said topics that will be discussed are:
- Mandatory implicit bias training for every law enforcement employee in city and county.
- A policy for all officers to intervene if they see another officer involved in activities like abuse or negligence.
- Require an increase in the number of years on the force and require a clean record before an officer can become a field training officer.
- An increase in the number of hours taught for de-escalation and cultural training.
- An anonymous reporting system for officers to report abuse by fellow officers. Activists want CLERB to get these reports and handle the investigation.
- An upgrade of charges to hate crime of vehicular homicide for people who drive into protesters.
FOX13 will keep a watch on any details that come from the meeting.
© 2020 Cox Media Group