Memphis lawmaker charged after incident with ex-boyfriend, records say

NASHVILLE — A Tennessee representative is facing charges after allegedly assaulting and stealing from his ex-boyfriend.

State Representative Torrey Harris (D-Memphis) is charged with theft of property and assault causing bodily harm after an incident with his ex-boyfriend.

The Metro Nashville Police Department (MNPD) were dispatched to the 4500 block of Charlotte Avenue where a man stated that he was assaulted by his ex-boyfriend, Torrey Harris, on July 15.

According to documents obtained by FOX13, earlier in the evening, Harris came to the location to bring back a dog, which he had been watching over the last several days. The dog belongs to the victim, a release said.

Harris wanted to come into the apartment and speak about their relationship and at some point, the victim attempted to leave the apartment and headed towards the door.

When he did so, Harris stood in front of him and put his hands on the victim’s upper arms to prevent him from leaving, documents said.

According to an affidavit, Harris bear-hugged the victim and sustained a scratch on his arm. He also made it clear that he wanted to leave.

The victim was eventually able to exit the apartment and wound up in the hallway of the building, police said.

While both were outside of the apartment, Harris picked up the victim’s dog and walked away with it.

According to the affidavit, the victim left and then came back after officers are present.

While inside the apartment, the victim discovered that several items were missing from his apartment and that Harris had bought him as gifts. The items included a MacBook Air, PlayStation 5, a barstool, lamps, white airmax shoes, air pods, an Apple Watch and a TV mount.

Officers were able to contact Harris via telephone, he verified his address and was advised that his conversation was being recorded via body camera, the affidavit said.

Harris said that he did not have the dog and when officers asked about the PlayStation five and other products, Harris said that he had those items as well and had bought them for the victim as gifts.

Harris released this statement Tuesday afternoon:

“I first want to say thank you for all the support and to those who have reached out during this time.

I have retained legal counsel and myself and the team are working diligently to cooperate with the investigation. I maintain my innocence and will plead not guilty to the charges. I know that at the end of this I will be cleared of all allegations.

My focus will remain on serving the people as it always has been, but my ask is that if someone you know – loved one, friend, or neighbor is battling with mental health, that you help them as best as you can. Never deter from supporting those who need us even at their toughest moments.

As for me, I want to say thank you for all the calls and to those who have reached out during this time. This has been a lived example that will help me better help those I serve. Trust me, I have already noticed steps in policy that lawmakers like myself must work to improve throughout the justice system.

Over the next couple of weeks you will learn more about this matter and I look forward to moving on after it is all said and done.”