MFD: One killed in apartment fire overnight in Medical District

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — One person is dead after a fire at a local Memphis apartment complex.

The apartment community is Helix at the District at 141 N. Manassas near Downtown.

A call about the blaze came into Memphis Fire around 1:15 a.m.

Firefighters saw smoke on the 8th and 9th floors of the residential high-rise.

Forty-seven pieces of Fire/Rescue/EMS equipment and approximately 123 emergency response personnel ultimately responded to the call.

The fire was brought under control at 1:42 a.m.

During interior search procedures, an adult man was found unresponsive in room 9-A and was pronounced deceased on the scene. The name and age of the victim has not been released pending positive identification and notification of next of kin. The cause of death is pending the Shelby County Medical Examiner’s report.

A woman was taken to Baptist East with smoke inhalation.

There were no firefighter injuries.

It has been determined that the residence did have a working smoke alarm. The structure sustained smoke, fire and water damage. Total damage is estimated at $25,000 building and $5,000 contents.

The origin and cause of the fire was determined to be accidental; electrical wiring malfunctioned in the wall of room 9-A.