MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Three people are recovering after fire tore through a Downtown Memphis apartment Thursday night.
The Memphis Fire Department said the fire erupted at the ReNew Riverview Apartments on North Main around 7:30 p.m.
According to MFD, the fire started due to a malfunctioning refrigerator.
MFD said that the fire, that started on the 10th floor of the high-rise, was contained to a single apartment but caused water and/or smoke damage to 11 others.
MATA provided two buses to provide temporary shelter for people until the firefighter’s efforts were completed, MFD said.
Memphis firefighters brought the fire under control around 8:07 p.m.
Two residents were treated for smoke inhalation, including a woman who was taken to Regional One Hospital.
A firefighter was also treated at the scene for heat exhaustion.
©2021 Cox Media Group