Mother speaks out after son allegedly jumped, pistol-whipped during Kirby HS football game

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — It was supposed to be a good time out but a high school football game for one student went terribly wrong, according to one Memphis mom.

The mom, who asked to remain anonymous, told FOX13 her son was jumped Friday night and pistol-whipped while leaving a football game at Kirby High School.

The mom, who was very emotional and shaken up during the interview, explained her son, at first, attended a charter school, but wanted a different experience, so she moved him from a local academy and enrolled him at Kirby High.

“He just started Kirby; he just started there,” she said. “He was just targeted. He was bullied. They chased him from Kirby, went two streets over; they jumped on him again, and that’s when the grown adult jumped on him, pistol whipped him and pulled the gun to threaten to kill him and the kids came back kicking him in the head and the sides.”

According to the mom, the alleged attack started in the parking lot outside the stadium.

She said her 17-year-old son was getting a head start, leaving the game early before the fourth quarter ended when he was attacked by at least eight men, including a 25-year-old wielding a gun.

“He was stomped in the ribs, the back. He’s real sore, knots all to the back of the neck,” his mother said.

The 10th grader told FOX13 he didn’t notice any staff members in the parking lot at the time of the said assault.

According to the police report, the teen suffered several injuries, including a busted lip and a concussion.

“He comes from a charter school. He’s not like everybody else. He’s not from the streets. He’s not with the streets. He’s just different and he’s an easy target,” she said.

FOX13 also spoke with the teen’s aunt who questions security protocol when extracurricular events are going on.

“When we have these types of events, there’s supposed to be chaperones, not only chaperones, there are supposed to be individuals that are put in place, like police officers that are on the spot. Where were they,” asked Ruth Riggs.

FOX13 took the family’s concerns to Memphis-Shelby County Schools to find out whether they were aware of the alleged attack.

We also probed about protocols put in place to ensure student safety at afterschool events, especially following a recent event scare at Central High’s Jamboree game on Aug. 12.

Students stampeded out of the stadium, afraid of said gunshots, but later found out it was a false alarm.

In an emailed response, MSCS said the following about Friday’s alleged Kirby High School incident:

“We’ve checked with multiple sources today, and no one is aware of this alleged incident happening on our campus.”

The Memphis Police Department filed the incident as an aggravated assault.

According to police, the department responded to the school at 1:55 a.m. Saturday.

Meantime, the family is still seeking answers from anyone who may have witnessed what happened that night. “

We need people to come and step forward; everybody has cameras; everybody has phones. Someone has a recording of this occurrence,” Riggs said.

“This needs to come to a head. I need answers,” the mom told us.