Mother warning young people after her daughter fights for her life due to COVID-19

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — As COVID-19 cases continue to climb, especially among young people, a mother shares how her daughter went from perfectly healthy to dying from COVID-19 in a matter of days.

The woman was only 25-years-old.

Have questions about the spread of coronavirus? We have an entire section dedicated to coverage of the outbreak. CLICK HERE for more.

The Shelby County Health Department said more young people between the ages of 25 and 45 are contracting the virus.

Monday, we spoke to a mother whose 25-year-old daughter is clinging to life.

“I am so hurt mam,” said Carla Polk Rubin, mom. “I am just so hurt.”

MORE: Governor Lee extends Tennessee State of Emergency to Aug. 29

A Memphis mother cries out in agony as she waits for a phone call no parent wants to receive.

“I’m just waiting on them to tell me she’s expired due to this corona,” Rubin said.

Rubin’s daughter, Lameisha Polk’s life is hanging in the balance after contracting COVID-19.

“My daughter came to Atlanta with her two best friends,” she said. “For one of their birthdays. When she got there. She started complaining that her stomach was upset.”

Rubin said the following day her daughter checked into the hospital. She tested positive for COVID-19 and within days her health deteriorated.

MORE: Tennessee Department of Health Sunday COVID-19 data delayed due to system issues

“She Facetimed me and her eyes had sunk back in her head and they had her on oxygen and she said mama I want to come home,” Rubin said.

Shortly after that phone call, Rubin said her daughter went into cardiac arrest.

Her heart stopped for four minutes, which caused blood clots in her heart and lungs as well as causing her organs and kidneys to fail.

Doctors said she is now brain dead.

“They say because she was heavy it attacked her,” she said. “But she was healthy only ever had a sinus infection. Never been sick. Young healthy.”

MORE: Shelby County Clerk’s Office limit employees to prevent COVID-19 spread

Rubin and her family have been staying in a hotel in Atlanta for the last three weeks.

Sunday, they were allowed to see Lameisha to say their final farewell.

Rubin said she hopes her daughter’s story may save another person’s life.

“Please, please take this virus seriously,” she said. “Wash your hands, wear a mask and stay in.”

MORE: Coronavirus: Remdesivir treatment comes with $3,120 price tag for patients with private insurance

Rubin said they already owe $100,000 in hospital bills.

Her daughter had just started a new job, so her insurance hadn't kicked in.

The family has set up a to cover expenses.