MPD launches ‘Operation Safe Travels 2’ in light of 7th highway shooting in 2020

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — MPD has announced they have launched the second phase of “Operation Safe Travels,” which was a program initiated last year to help curb interstate shootings.

So far in 2020, there have been 7 road rage shootings on Memphis interstates. There were 45 incidents in 2019.

The most recent happened Wednesday morning on I-240 Northbound near the Union exit. Officers said they’re searching for a suspect in a brown box style Sedan. Luckily, the victim wasn’t injured.

Wednesday during a press conference to talk about recent roadway incidents, Deputy Chief Samuel Hines announced MPD’s latest operation which kicked off Tuesday afternoon.

“There will always be officers on the interstate regardless of what time of day it is because we have a minimum requirement of one officer per station in all our nine patrol stations,” Hines said.

Hines explained they will have 10 or more officers in unmarked cars to be able to spot individuals that are driving erratic and causing road rage type incidents.

Since the operation started, police have arrested seven people, given out 26 citations and collected one gun from a driver.

Related: Police continue investigations over 2 roadway shootings Tuesday

MPD is also getting additional help from the Tennessee Highway Patrol.

“The Tennessee Highway Patrol will be starting and adding to this operation on Friday January 31st and they will be working Sam Cooper and I-40 all the way down to Arlington,” Hines said.

Related: MPD continues ‘Operation Safe Travels’ to stop aggressive driving and road rage