MPD: Man who shot, killed 4-year-old boy now in custody

Memphis, Tenn. — The man police said is responsible for a shooting that left a 4-year-old boy dead Saturday night is now in custody, MPD announced.

Terrell Woods was apprehended Tuesday.

MPD’s Homicide Bureau, the US Marshals, and the Shelby County Fugitive Apprehension Team were all thanked for locating and apprehending this suspect, police tweeted.

According to a release from the U.S.Marshals Service, Woods was stopped in a vehicle near the intersection of Poplar and 4th by the U.S. Marshals Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force and the Shelby County Fugitive Apprehension Team. He was taken into custody without incident.

“The Marshals Service was satisfied that we were able to make an arrest in this unconscionable and horrific crime,” said U.S. Marshal Tyreece Miller.


Memphis Police have identified the man they said is responsible for a shooting that left a 4-year-old boy dead Saturday night.

According to MPD, Terrell Woods fired the shot that killed the boy.

Police said that Woods was outside of a car with several adults and the boy in it when he and one of the adults in the car began arguing.

That argument led to Woods opening fire, shooting a bullet from outside of the car that hit the 4-year-old boy, police said.

That boy was rushed to Le Bonheur by a private vehicle, but he was soon pronounced dead at the hospital.

Late Saturday night, MPD searched a scene on North Lexington Circle in Frayser which police said was connected to the shooting that left the boy dead.

Memphis Police have issued a warrant for Woods arrest and the police said that the people inside the car when the boy was shot know Woods.

Terrell Woods, the man accused of killing a four-year-old boy over the weekend is facing a first degree murder charge. FOX13 has been following this case since it happened Saturday and has learned Woods has had several run-ins with the law, some dating back as far as 14-years-ago.

According to an affidavit, in 2007, police arrested Woods for stealing a car, driving with a suspended license and for having marijuana.

In 2014, police arrested Woods again. According to an affidavit, he was pulled over for speeding, but police found a stolen gun on him with a bullet in the chamber and five rounds.

If you have any information about his whereabouts call CrimeStoppers at 901-528-CASH.