MPD officer charged in fatal crash released from jail, will undergo mental health evaluation

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Antonio Marshall, a Memphis police officer charged in a fatal crash that killed two people on Walnut Grove, has been released from jail on his own recognizance.

He appeared in court Wednesday morning.

RELATED: Off-duty MPD officer was traveling 114 mph seconds before fatal crash, police say

Marshall, 27, was speeding 114 mph just seconds before the crash that claimed the lives of 42-year-old Wallace Morris and 19-year-old Travis Parham.

Records show at the time of impact, Marshall’s car was moving at 99 mph.

The speed limit on Walnut Grove is 45 mph.

According to a crash report from Memphis Police, Marshall’s car, a 2019 Dodge Charger, was towed to the city lot on Klinke after the accident.

MORE: FOX13 Investigates: MPD officer charged in deadly crash was suspended earlier this year

Marshall was racing and driving aggressively prior to the crash, the report shows.

Marshall must now report to the VA for a mental health assessment.

He served six years in the Army and two years in the National Guard, FOX13 confirmed.

FOX13 pressed Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland for answers Wednesday about his statement to the father of one of the victims killed in the car crash involving an off-duty Memphis Police officer.

Travis Parham Jr’s father said Strickland told him Tuesday they will do whatever they can to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

Business owners said they are going to hold the mayor accountable.

“He needs to do something quickly. As I said, this is just a couple of days later, there’s another wreck down here,” said Tina Merchant who witnessed another accident Wednesday, just five days after the deadly crash.

FOX13 called Strickland’s office Wednesday. 

A spokeswoman released this statement:

“Traffic Engineering is currently working on a project involving Federal, Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) funding that will install a new Traffic Signal at this location. This project is currently in the Environmental Review Phase and should move into the Final Design Phase within the next several months after the Environmental Document is approved by TDOT and the Federal Highway Administration. We hope to reach the Construction Phase on this project within the next 12 months. Any additional questions regarding the status of the traffic signal project should be directed to the State.”