No charges will be filed against US Marshal who shot Brandon Webber, DA says

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — No charges will be filed against the US Marshal who shot Brandon Webber, the DA said.

Amy Weirich announced the use of force was necessary.

A little over a year ago US Marshalls killed Webber in Frayser while serving multiple warrants for multiple felonies out of Hernando, Mississippi.

According to the DA, Webber was wanted for shooting a man multiple times and stealing his car.

Related: Man killed by US Marshals in Frayser last year was shot 16 times, medical report shows

She said he later posted online videos of himself driving the stolen car and showing a tactical rifle with a pistol grip with two high-capacity magazines in the front seat.

“Under the law in Tennessee, officers are not required to wait until they are fired upon,” Weirich said. “They may use deadly force when they have probable cause to believe that the individual to be arrested poses a threat of serious bodily injury, either to the officer or to others unless immediately apprehended.”

Weirich emphasized the officers did everything they could to take Webber into custody safely before using force.

Related: Family of Brandon Webber files $25M wrongful death lawsuit

She added the Marshals identified themselves as officers, boxed his car in and asked him to get out.

According to Weirich, Webber instead grabbed a loaded gun which had 38 rounds.

She said that’s when five Marshals fired several shots at Webber and killed him.

Weirich also emphasized that Webber posted videos on Facebook earlier that day threatening police.

She said their use of force was justified and there won’t be any indictments.

The shooting caused civil unrest in the neighborhood.

Related: Family of man shot and killed by U.S Marshals still waiting for answers a year after his death

Jake Brown represents the Webber family.

“They rammed him, did not identify themselves, got out of the car and started shooting,” Brown said.

Brown added that Webber was sitting in front of his mother’s house in a car when the Marshals confronted him violently.

Weirich argued that Webber was already thought to be dangerous after shooting a Hernando man and stealing his car a week earlier.

She pointed to a video Webber posted on Facebook where he openly threatened police if they stopped him.

The DA said officers did everything they could before using force but had to take quick action when Webber grabbed a loaded gun.

Related: Frayser residents demand answers day after U.S. Marshals fatally shot Brandon Webber

“We take our responsibility very seriously and every tragic loss of life doesn’t equal a criminal prosecution,” Weirich said.

Brown believed no matter what Webber was accused of, he didn’t deserve to die.

“He does not threaten police,” Browns said. “He is a little braggadocios, a little cocky and says they’ll have to catch him first but he does not say they have to kill him first.”

He said he was not surprised by the decision but was still disappointed.

Related: Chaos erupts after deadly shooting involving U.S. Marshals in Memphis

“I think what happened in this case as far as criminal prosecution is concerned is what would’ve exactly happened in Minneapolis if there had not been people with cameras,” Brown said.

He argued the Marshals never identified themselves and said even if Webber had a gun, it was no excuse for Marshals to shoot him multiple times.

“They came in like special forces troops coming into hostile territory with a mission to kill and that’s what happened,” he said.

Brown said he has a civil case in federal court because the family is suing the Marshals who shot Webber for 25-million-dollars.

There is no court date set yet.