Off-duty MPD officer was traveling 114 mph seconds before fatal crash, police say

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — An off-duty Memphis police officer has been charged with vehicular homicide after a fatal crash on Walnut Grove Friday.

According to police, Antonio Marshall, 27, turned himself in and was arrested and taken to jail.

MORE: Off-duty MPD officer involved in deadly crash on Walnut Grove, police say

MPD previously told FOX13 that an off-duty MPD officer was speeding eastbound down Walnut Grove when the officer, in a 2019 Dodge Charger, hit a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville that was pulling out of a driveway near Timber Creek Drive.

The Bonneville split into two pieces, police said.

The passengers in the Bonneville, 42-year-old Wallace Morris and 19-year-old Travis Parham, were ejected from the car and died at the scene.

According to an affidavit, witnesses said Marshall was driving recklessly before the crash without regard for others.

Five seconds before the crash, Marshall’s car was traveling at 114 mph, the affidavit said. The speed limit on Walnut Grove is 45 mph.

At the time of impact, Marshall’s car was moving at 99 mph, records show.

Susan Hunt spoke with FOX13 at the intersection where her nephew and his cousin died in a car crash Friday on Walnut Grove Road near Timber Creek Drive.

“And I hate that because he just now living his life. He was only 19 and that just hurt us,” Hunt said.

MPD said the impact was so powerful that the victims’ car split in half.

Marshall’s car drug half of the Pontiac more than 200 yards down the road, court documents show.

“What was going through my mind when he turned himself is that he did a good deed,” Hunt said. “He did the right thing for us, but we still trying to get closure.”

Hunt said Parham just graduated from Fayette Ware High School in Somerville.

He had dreams of going to college but wasn’t sure where.

Family members were waiting for him to get his test results back that would have determined his future.

“The only thing I have to say is I wish we could take it back but we can’t but I love them,” Hunt said.

Marshall appeared in court Wednesday.