Everything we know about the shooting involving police on Beale St. that left a man dead

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Memphis Police Department (MPD) is investigating a triple shooting on Beale Street overnight that involved at least one Memphis Police Officer.

The shooting happened in the 300 block of Beale Street around 2:30 a.m., according to the major on the scene for MPD.

PHOTOS: One dead, two hurt in shooting involving police on Beale Street, officials say

One person is dead and two others are injured because of the shooting, officials said.

On Monday, Memphis mother Tashia Smith identified that person as her son 26-year-old Tacquan Smith.

According to police, two groups of men fired shots at one another outside of The Green Room on Beale. A man from what police are calling ‘Group A’ fired shots at ‘Group B.’ Two men were shot.

A man from ‘Group B’ then returned fire at the alleged shooter from ‘Group A,’ a release said.

According to officials, Memphis Police Officers were caught in the crossfire and returned fire at one of the shooters.

One man fled but was later arrested by police in an alley near the shooting, MPD said. The suspect was taken to Regional One Hospital in serious condition due to being shot.

At this time, it is unknown if the suspect’s injuries were caused by the officers who returned fire or if his injuries were caused by someone who was firing shots from within the group, police said.

According to MPD, the man who was killed, identified by Tashia Smith as her son Tacquan Smith, was shot by someone from within the groups involved in the shootout. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Another victim in the group was struck by gunfire and taken to Regional One Hospital in serious condition. Police believed that this person was injured by someone firing shots within the two groups.

There was a total of three men that were shot, police said.

According to police, there was an officer sitting in a patrol car that was parked outside of the club who was caught in the crossfire. The officer was uninjured, but his patrol car and body-worn camera were struck by one of the suspect’s gunfire.

Three officers who were present when shots rang out between the groups and who had returned fire have been routinely relieved of duty pending the outcome of the investigation, police said.

This investigation is ongoing.

This morning, a meeting with MPD and the Downtown Memphis Commission took place to discuss the incident that occurred downtown, a release said.

Statements from Chief Cerelyn Davis and Mr. Paul Young.

“The Memphis Police Department is outraged at the senseless and brazen acts of violence that took place this morning in the presence of officers,” Chief Davis said. “The proliferation of gun violence continues at epic levels throughout our nation; however, we are committed to bringing every resource to bear to end these critical incidents in our city.”

“We will continue working and strategizing with our downtown stakeholders and city officials to create a safe and welcoming environment for our residents, businesses, and visitors,” she said.

“Memphis is not alone in facing this epidemic. In the past few weeks, there have been shootings in entertainment districts in Austin, Dallas, and Sacramento. But in our city, we are constantly working to reduce the chances of this happening,” Young said.

“Currently, we are one of the only entertainment districts who wand and ID during high traffic times. And we will continue to be vigilant. We are working with MPD to identify solutions to support the safest Beale Street experience,” he said.

Investigators are working to identify all persons involved and ask if anyone with information to call CrimeStoppers at 901-528-CASH.

Shooting at 315 Beale Street Report#2204003932 On April 10, 2022, at approximately 2:18 am, MPD officers working in the...

Posted by Memphis Police Department est.1827 on Sunday, April 10, 2022