Shots fired inside Wolfchase Galleria, police say

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Gunfire rang out inside one of Memphis’ most popular shopping centers on Wednesday, August 17, according to the Memphis Police Department (MPD).

What started as a typical Wednesday afternoon at the mall quickly turned into panic for some shoppers as a gun went off inside the Wolfchase Galleria.

MPD said shots were fired inside the mall around 12:41 p.m.

Police said no injuries were reported, and nobody has been arrested in connection to the incident.

Later in the day, the only indication that something had happened was a heightened police presence at one entrance. Otherwise, no entrances were closed, and folks continued their shopping. But two women who were at the mall just after noon said it was a slightly different scene.

“Initially, my first thought was ‘Oh my gosh, was that a gunshot?’ but then I was thinking ‘no, maybe something just dropped really loudly,’” Mora Gayden said.

Gayden told FOX13 she was at the Wolfchase Galleria picking up some last-minute items for a trip. That’s when she realized she needed to find an exit and fast.

“I could tell by looking around at the other people, they were also thinking and trying to figure out what had just happened,” she said.

A worker from inside the mall told FOX13 that the gun went off when a customer and employee inside a store near entrance 2 got into an argument.

“Everyone around started looking around and then going into stores,” another shopper said. “Some stores started shutting their gates. I ran into the store by Cheesecake Factory and ran to the back in a closet to hide.”

For Gayden, it was just another reminder to be on high alert when out in public.

“Even just going to the gas station, you hear about the shootings on the interstate from road rage and all that stuff, so it’s always kind of in the back of my mind that something like this could happen,” Gayden said.

FOX13 reached out to Wolfchase Galleria for a statement. They directed all questions to Memphis Police.

The investigation into the gunfire is ongoing, according to police.