Teen rushed to ICU after eating THC-laced gummies

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A Memphis mom is sending a warning to local families about a product that looks a lot like candy, but it isn’t.

Shushara Carruthers said her 14-year-old son was rushed to the ICU unconscious after eating a gummy candy laced with tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

“He was just laying there. His eyes were bloodshot red, and they were real dilated,” said Carruthers.

The mom told FOX13 that her son told his peers at school that he was hungry and was offered candy by one of his classmates.

“I was crying and I said, ‘What did you take?’ He said, ‘Nothing but some grape candy,’ and I said, ‘From who,’ and he told me the student’s name.”

The purple package of 15 gummies read 500 milligrams. According to Carruthers, her son became unresponsive and at one point even started to hallucinate.

Dr. Michael Holder, Medical Director of the Pediatric ER at Baptist Children’s Hospital, said his office has seen an uptick in these types of incidents.

“Gummies in particular, they look like candy. Kids are looking at that and saying, ‘Oh, it’s a gummy bear. It’s a candy bear. I can eat it,” Dr. Holder said.

Dr. Holder said the side effects of the THC-laced products could be serious and are not to be taken lightly.

“It’ll knock them on their butt,” Holder said. “You’ll see things like lethargy, confusion, disorientation, loss of balance and in severe cases, you’ll see delirium and coma.”

Medical results showed Carruthers’ son tested positive for cannabinoids after ingesting two gummies Monday. After this shocking health scare, the concerned mom has a message and a warning for families.

“My son been sleep since 10 o’clock yesterday morning and is just now waking up. Talk to your kids. Don’t take nothing from nobody, no candy, no potato chips, no gum, no nothing,” Carruthers said.

FOX13 learned that the teen is now talking again and is alert. Carruthers said the 14-year-old will be released from the hospital Wednesday.