Trial for man accused in killing of 2-year-old Laylah Washington moved to October

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The trial for a man accused in the road rage shooting death of 2-year-old Laylah Washington was set to begin Monday, but has been reset until Oct. 17.

The toddler was shot on June 11, 2017, while riding with her mother in a white Nissan Maxima on Kirby Parkway. A bullet went through her head as she sat in the backseat with her two siblings.

She died from her injuries two days later.

The case made national headlines and even drew attention from former Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam, who offered $10,000 for information leading to an arrest.

MORE: Man accused of killing Laylah Washington back in custody after being accidentally released, SCSO say

Tylan McCray was arrested and charged with First Degree Murder, Criminal Attempt Felony to wit: First Degree Murder (3 counts), Employing a Firearm During Commission of a Dangerous Felony, and Possession of a Controlled Substance W/I to Man/Del/Sell to wit: Marijuana (McCray was arrested with 26.7 grams of suspected marijuana and THC oil).

His cousin, Brandon McCray was arrested and charged with Accessory After the Fact to wit: First Degree Murder.

Memphis Police produced evidence in 2018 that Tylan McCray had the gun used to kill Laylah. MPD said the gun was found during a traffic stop.

Tylan McCray was charged at the time with drug possession and unlawful gun possession.

Further investigation determined the bullet that killed the toddler came from the gun.

Terry Washington, Layla’s uncle, said, “Why go and kill somebody else’s family member because you mad and upset because somebody in front of you in a car? I mean really.”

The toddler’s family told FOX13 that justice for a senseless crime wouldn’t be enough to bring back the innocent young girl.

Both suspects were identified through a Crime Stoppers tip on the one-year anniversary of Laylah’s death and the continued efforts of homicide investigators.

MORE: Two cousins arrested after road rage incident killed 2-year-old Laylah Washington

Tylan McCray, left, and his cousin, Brandon McCray, were arrested Saturday.

According to an affidavit, Tylan McCray admitted to police that he shot into the car with Laylah and her family inside.

Last year, he was accidentally released from custody, according to the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office.

The Shelby County District Attorney’s Office said that Tylan McCray’s bond was set at $15 million, but a clerical error allowed his bond to appear in the system as $15,000.

Officials issued a warrant for him, and he was eventually taken back into custody.

According to an affidavit from 2018 McCray admitted to police he shot into the car with Washington, her mother, and two other siblings inside.

MORE: 2-year-old shot in head during road rage incident dies