MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A woman and two kids were injured in an apartment fire in Memphis on Thursday afternoon.
Firefighters responded to a fire at the Birch Leaf Apartments at 1053 Whitaker Dr. at 3:16 p.m., MFD said.
Firefighters reported visible smoke from the two-story apartments.
The fire was under control with 12 minutes, MFD said.
A woman was taken to Regional One’s Burn Unit in non-critical condition due to smoke inhalation and second-degree burns on her arm.
Two kids were taken to Le Bonheur for smoke inhalation.
MFD said no firefighters were injured.
The apartment didn’t have a working smoke alarm.
Four units sustained smoke, fire and/or water damage.
MFD said the total damage is estimated at $18,000.
The fire was caused by electrical wiring that malfunctioned in a ceiling in a bedroom, MFD said.
The Red Cross gave assistance to three families.
©2021 Cox Media Group