Marine saves paralyzed man from Memphis house fire

A bystander is being hailed a hero after saving the life of a paralyzed man trapped inside a house fire in the 500 block of Orchard Avenue on Wednesday morning.

Morgan Jones, a U.S. Marine, was in the neighborhood working on construction when the fire broke out around 6:30 a.m.

Jones called 911 and was told someone was trapped inside. That's when he jumped into action.

"Being in the Marine Corps, I just jumped in and started doing what I could to help save lives," Jones told FOX13.

Jones saw the man, who is paralyzed from the waist down, was pinned by his wheelchair near a window that he was trying to crawl towards.

Another bystander, Aaron Nathaniel, pitched in and broke the window with his bare hands to assist Jones. He was cut by the glass and treated on the scene.

"I crawled in, wrapped my shirt around my face, got the wheelchair out of the way and drug him as far as I could to the window," Jones said.

He then got a water hose and gave it to the man so he could breathe fresh air until the fire department arrived.

When asked if he was scared, Jones said, "No, sir. Been through worse."

Four other people escaped the fire. The man was transported to the hospital in critical condition with second-degree burns and smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, as the stovetop was left on and unattended in the kitchen.