CORDOVA, Tenn. - A mother is desperate for answers after her 16-year-old son was shot and killed by a teenager in Cordova over the weekend.

“What was his motive to have a gun around his friends,” said Courtney McMullen, the victim’s mother.

It was only 10 minutes until Courtney McMullen was going to pick up her son, Antonio Fason Jr. in Cordova. McMullen said a group of her son’s friends went to a haunted house Sunday afternoon.

But after they returned to a home on Mill Hill Avenue, the hangout turned deadly.

RELATED: 16-year-old boy shot, killed in Cordova neighborhood, sheriff says

“I just hate I wasn’t there, and I can’t imagine how my baby felt with me not being there,” said McMullen.

Shelby County deputies responded to a shooting at Mill Hill Avenue just after 2 p.m. Sunday. Deputies said the 16-year-old was lying on the ground when they arrived but later died at the hospital.

“It's very hard on his sisters. Like every video, every little smell," McMullen said. "We just breaking down. Like a lot of people been reaching out to us. We just breaking down, just the mention of him. It was never them without him and him without them. He was a big mamma's boy."

Deputies said a 16-year-old boy was arrested and charged.

McMullen said a close friend he was hanging with Sunday afternoon allegedly shot and killed her son.

“My son was his best friend," McMullen said. "Like, my baby treated him like his brother."

FOX13 went digging and found there are fewer children in the Mid-South going to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital with a gunshot injury.

RELATED: 16-year-old boy charged with murder of fellow teen in Cordova, SCSO says

Le Bonheur said so far this year, the hospital has treated 131 kids for gunshot wounds.

Last year, the hospital treated 180 children for similar injuries.

“So, if crime goes down so are the injuries in our children," said Regan Williams, the trauma medical director at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital. "We know when kids go back to school we have lower trauma numbers."

But for Fason Jr.’s family, they are now left picking up the pieces and scrambling for answers on his death.

“He asked me mom can you sign me up for the military in the 12th grade. He had plans for prom, clothes picked out. He was ready, ready to leave Memphis,” said McMullen.

If you want to support Fason Jr’s family, they created a GoFundMe page for the funeral costs.

Police said the 16-year-old alleged suspect is facing four charges, including first-degree murder and tampering with evidence.

If you have information related to the shooting, reach out to CrimeStoppers at 901-528-CASH.

More News