• 9-year-old electrocuted in family's backyard pool by broken underwater light

    By: Shelby Lin Erdman, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

    Updated:
    CITRUS HEIGHTS, Calif. -

    A California family is mourning the loss of their 9-year-old daughter and warning others about the dangers of underwater pool lights.

    >> Read more trending news 

    McKenzie Kinley, who was just shy of her 10th birthday, was killed Sunday after she was electrocuted in her family’s backyard pool in Citrus Heights, according to news reports


    Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.

    CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD


    Trending stories:


    The child was killed after touching an underwater light fixture that was not sealed and was under repair, KOVR-TV reported.

    “As much as we know, she grabbed the pool light, and it electrocuted her,” the girl’s father, Cliff Kinley, told the news station

    Sacramento County rescue crews rushed to the scene, but were not able to save the child.

    “Thank goodness it didn’t get anyone else, because there were four other children in that pool,” Kinley said.

    Kinley said the family is talking about the tragedy to warn other people about the potential dangers in backyard pools.

    “If nothing comes from losing my daughter, at least this could save others,” the child’s mother, Lisa Moore, told KOVR.

    The family started a GoFundMe page to help cover funeral expenses.
     

    Next Up: