Throw out your pig ear dog treats and don't buy more, the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommends.
In July, Lennox International Inc. issued a voluntary recall for its Natural Pig Ears because they might be contaminated with salmonella, posing a risk to both humans and dogs. At least 93 people in 27 states were infected with salmonella linked to the pig ears, the CDC reported.
Those numbers have grown to 143 cases reported in 35, with three cases in Georgia. Thirty-three people have been hospitalized.
New evidence from CDC labs indicates the pig ear treats making people sick come from many suppliers.
“For this reason, CDC and FDA are advising people not to buy any pig ear dog treats or feed them to their dogs,” the CDC said.
The CDC advises the following for dog owners:
How do I know if my dog has salmonella infection?
Some dogs may have salmonella infection but may not look sick. Dogs with a salmonella infection usually have diarrhea that may contain blood. Affected animals may seem more tired than usual, and may have a fever or vomit.
If your dog or cat has these signs of illness or you are concerned that your pet may have salmonella infection, please contact your pet’s veterinarian.
How can I report my dog’s illness if I think its related to pig ears?
FDA encourages consumers to report complaints about pet food products electronically through the Safety Reporting Portalexternal icon.
Always wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after touching unpackaged dog food or treats, including pig ears in bulk bins or on store shelves.
Tips to stay healthy while feeding your dog
Always wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water right after handling dog food or treats, including pig ears.
When possible, store dog food and treats away from where human food is stored or prepared and away from the reach of young children.
Don’t use your dog’s food bowl to scoop food. Use a clean, dedicated scoop, spoon or cup.
Always follow any storage instructions on dog food bags or containers.
Play safely after your dog eats
Don’t let your dog lick your mouth or face after it eats food or treats.
Don’t let your dog lick any open wounds or areas with broken skin.
If you do play with your dog after it has just eaten, wash your hands and any part of your body it licked with soap and water.
Take extra care around young children
Children younger than 5 should not touch or eat dog food or treats.
Young children are at risk for illness because their immune systems are still developing and because they are more likely than others to put their fingers or other items into their mouths.
© 2020 Cox Media Group