DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. — The beginning of summer means more barbecues, but a South Florida cookout nearly turned deadly Sunday afternoon when flames from a grill engulfed a couple's townhome.
“The home is totally gutted,” Kane told the newspaper. “It’s pretty much a loss at this point.”
Kane said the man was flipping steaks on the rear patio of his home when "The flames spread out of control” toward the townhome.
"He was in very close proximity to the home with his grill," Kane told the Sun-Sentinel.
The man immediately called 911, and about 30 firefighters arrived to find flames burning through the roof of the townhome, WSVN reported.
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to put out the blaze, the Miami Herald reported.
The man and woman managed to evacuate unharmed, Kane told reporters. They are staying with "friends and family nearby," Kane said.
Grilling can be a fun experience, but Kane said residents should be aware of the risks and be prepared.
© 2019 Cox Media Group