• South Florida couple grilling steaks loses townhome when fire engulfs building

    By: Bob D'Angelo, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

    Updated:
    DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. -

    The beginning of summer means more barbecues, but a South Florida cookout nearly turned deadly Sunday afternoon when flames from a grill engulfed a couple's townhome.

    >> Read more trending news 

    According to Broward County Sheriff's Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Michael B, Kane, the couple was grilling steaks on the patio of their single-story townhome in Deerfield Beach, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

    “The home is totally gutted,” Kane told the newspaper. “It’s pretty much a loss at this point.”

    >> 6 tips for safe and fun summer grilling

    Kane said the man was flipping steaks on the rear patio of his home when "The flames spread out of control” toward the townhome.

    “He was in very close proximity to the home with his grill,” Kane told the Sun-Sentinel.

    The man immediately called 911, and about 30 firefighters arrived to find flames burning through the roof of the townhome, WSVN reported. 

    It took firefighters about 30 minutes to put out the blaze, the Miami Herald reported.

    >> What to know about propane safety before firing up gas grill

    The man and woman managed to evacuate unharmed, Kane told reporters. They are staying with "friends and family nearby," Kane said.

    Grilling can be a fun experience, but Kane said residents should be aware of the risks and be prepared.

    “A fire can grow to double its size every 60 seconds,” Kane told the Herald. “Residents are encouraged to have an escape plan in the event of a fire or other emergency.”

    Next Up: