Buck fed by visitors injures girl at Yosemite National Park

YOSEMITE, Calif. — A buck being fed by visitors at Yosemite National Park injured a girl who approached and startled the animal, park officials said.

>> Read more trending news

The girl was injured Wednesday when the startled buck’s antlers connected with the girl’s arm, causing a deep laceration and chest wounds, park officials said in a Facebook post. The child, whose identity and age was not revealed, was treated at the Yosemite Medical Center and was later taken to an area hospital for treatment, according to The Fresno Bee.

“It is illegal to feed or approach wildlife in Yosemite! While some animals, including deer, might get used to people approaching them, they spook easily and will defend themselves if people get too close or startle them,” park officials wrote on Facebook. “Please, for the protection of these wild animals and for the safety of all visitors, always keep your distance! This is not how we want anyone’s visit to Yosemite to end.”