Car fire caused by driver using hand sanitizer while smoking, investigators say

ROCKVILLE, Md. — A car caught fire Thursday after a driver used hand sanitizer while smoking a cigarette in the unventilated vehicle, investigators said.

>> Read more trending news

The Montgomery County Fire Department said the car caught fire around 5:30 p.m. in the parking lot of a Rockville shopping center, WUSA reported.

“(The) driver using hand sanitizer and smoking a cigarette (was a) bad combo in an unventilated area like a car,” Pete Piringer, agency spokesperson, told WUSA.

Firefighters were able to get the flames under control. However, the car was completely destroyed by the fire.

The driver was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor burns and other non-life-threatening injuries.