CHICAGO — A man is facing first-degree murder and other charges in connection with the shooting death of a 7-year-old girl last week, Chicago police said.
According to WGN and the Chicago Sun-Times, police arrested Marion Lewis, 18, on Thursday, four days after Jaslyn Adams was shot and killed at a McDonald’s drive-thru in the city’s Homan Square neighborhood. He faces 18 felony charges, including first-degree murder, first-degree attempted murder, vehicular hijacking and aggravated discharge of a firearm, police said in a news release Saturday.
The deadly shooting occurred shortly before 4:30 p.m. April 18 outside a McDonald’s on West Roosevelt Road, the news outlets previously reported. Two people in a gray car opened fire on a silver Infiniti in the drive-thru, striking Adams and her 28-year-old father, Jontae Adams, the Sun-Times reported at the time.
Emergency crews rushed the victims to a nearby hospital, where the girl died, police said. Her father, who suffered a gunshot wound to the torso, was treated and later released, the Sun-Times reported.
Investigators identified Lewis as a suspect involved in the shooting but did not say whether he fired the fatal shots, according to the Sun-Times. He was apprehended shortly after 4 p.m. Thursday following a chase on the Eisenhower Expressway, police said.
“On April 22, 2021, officers attempted to stop Lewis, who was seated inside of a vehicle,” police said in a news release. “The vehicle then crashed, and Lewis ran from the scene. Lewis then attempted to carjack a vehicle with a family inside. A Chicago police officer exited his vehicle and intervened, which resulted in the officer discharging his service weapon and striking the offender.”
Lewis, who was treated at a nearby hospital and charged, was not the only person involved in the shooting, which investigators believe was gang-related, police said. Authorities are still seeking additional suspects, according to WGN and the Sun-Times.
Cox Media Group