Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. is recalling 430,000 truck and sport utility vehicle tires amid concerns of sidewall bulging and separation that could lead to product failure.
The recall covers nine brands, including Cooper, Hercules, Mastercraft and Mickey Thompson, as well as replacement tires sold through Les Schwab, Pep Boys and Tire Kingdom, according to Consumer Reports.
Per the recall notice, affected models include certain 18- and 20-inch Discoverer, Evolution, Courser, Deegan, Adventurer, Hercules, Back Country, Multi-Mile Wild Country and Big O tires that were manufactured between Feb. 1, 2018, and Dec. 1, 2019.
“Driving at high speeds may cause this condition to occur and should be avoided until the tires have been inspected and replaced,” Cooper Tire stated in its notice, referencing the large bulge some of the affected tires develop on their sidewall.
No accidents or injuries related to the problem have been reported, and Cooper Tire discovered the issue through an abnormally high return rate for the affected products.
See the complete list of affected tires below.
• Big O AT/T Big Foot (275/65R18), Big O Bigfoot A/S (275/65R18)
• Cooper Adventurer H/T (Pep Boys 275/65R18), Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S (275/65R18), Discoverer A/T3 (275/65R18), Evolution H/T (275/65R18), Discoverer AT3 4S (275/55R20)
• Hercules Terra Trac A/T II (275/65R18)
• Les Schwab Back Country QS3 Touring HT (275/65R18), Back Country SQ4 All Terrain (275/65R18)
• Mastercraft Courser HSX Tour (275/65R18), Courser AXT (275/65R18, 275/55R20), Courser AXT2 (275/65R18, 275/55R20)
• Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 All-Terrain (275/65R18, 275/55R20)
• TBC Multi-Mile Wild Country XTX Sport 4S (275/65R18, 275/55R20), Cooper Discoverer RTX (275/65R18).
According to the recall, tires must be inspected, and those determined to be affected will be replaced free of charge.
Owners may contact Cooper Tire customer service at 800-854-6288. Cooper Tire’s number for this recall is 178, according to Consumer Reports.