Just as drive-ins have made a comeback, thanks to coronavirus-related restrictions on social gatherings, a new spin on moviegoing has emerged.
Beyond Cinema, an Australian-based entertainment company, is bringing the big screen to waterways in the U.S.
“Forget sitting in uncomfortable cinema seats, and get ready for a unique adventure,” the company says of its curated experiences.
Throughout the month of September, Beyond Cinema will host events in 16 cities across the U.S.
In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, movie theaters have closed, and social distancing guidelines have been encouraged and enforced.
Beyond Cinema promises a safe experience in physically distanced boats that will each hold up to eight people. Each event will have space for 12 to 24 boats, the company said.
While ticket prices haven’t yet been announced, preregisteration for the event is free. Those who ultimately buy tickets will have to purchase enough tickets for a whole boat to ensure moviegoers are seated with friends and family.
The exact locations of each event haven’t been identified, but preregistering for the events gets interested parties more details as soon as they’re released, the company said.
The films, which are “to be a mix of golden oldies and new releases,” will be announced when tickets go on sale.
Below is a list of the scheduled dates. You can register for more information here.
- September 2 - San Francisco, California
- September 2 - Los Angeles, California
- September 2 - San Diego, California
- September 2 - Denver, Colorado
- September 9 - St. Louis, Missouri
- September 9 - Houston, Texas
- September 9 - Miami, Florida
- September 9 - Orlando, Florida
- September 9 - Chicago, Illinois
- September 16 - New York, New York
- September 16 - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- September 23 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- September 23 - Cincinnati, Ohio
- September 23 - Columbus, Ohio
- September 23 - Cleveland, Ohio
- September 23 - Austin, Texas