3 injured in fire at local auto shop, MFD says

3 injured in fire at local auto shop, MFD says
Three people were hurt after an explosion caused a fire at A to Z Auto this week. (MFD)

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Several people were injured Monday during a fire at a local auto business.

Firefighters responded to A to Z Auto in the 1800 block of Getwell Road around 6:20 p.m.

Firefighters reported heavy visible smoke coming from the business, according to MFD.

Content Continues Below

The fire was under control by 6:40 p.m.

Two men were taken to Regional One in critical condition with 2nd- and 3rd-degree burns.

According to MFD, a third man sustained 2nd-degree burns to his hands and forehead.

He was treated and released on the scene.

No firefighters were injured in the blaze, according to MFD.

The business did not have a sprinkler system.

The building sustained smoke, fire and water damage.

Total damage is estimated at $200,000, MFD said.

The fire was accidental; an employee was working with a grinding tool when sparks ignited flammable liquids.

The incident caused an explosion in the shop, MFD said.