Walls, Miss. — Almost 30 people in North Mississippi suffered a Christmas nightmare when a fire tore through their apartment building just days before Christmas, according to DeSoto County officials.
The fire broke out at around 1 p.m. at the Laurel Park Apartments in Walls, Mississippi just two days before Christmas, officials said.
Twenty-nine people are displaced from their homes.
“I was like this isn’t real and then I had to snap to reality. It is. Just losing everything, that’s the thing that really bothers me because I worked so hard for what I had,” said longtime resident Cierra Warren.
Warren is one of 8 families who lost everything in the fire. It’s believed that a lit candle may have caused the blaze.
“My oldest little girl looked out of the window and that’s when she told my cousin that there was fire and they just dropped everything and ran out of the apartment,” said Darnisha Black.
Black says she got home to see her apartment engulfed in flames.
This isn’t the first time this family has seen this kind of tragedy. They lost two young cousins years ago after a fire at their grandmother’s house. They say this fire gave them flashbacks.
“We literally saw the house in flames. My cousin ran out the door shaking his arm and his skin was falling off. We watched all that and to see how we’ve lost our home is sad,” said Warren.
The Mid-South Red-Cross is stepping in to help the families as well as the local community. The Mid-South Chapter of the American Red-Cross gave the families gift cards for relocation and to possibly replace their items.
“We’re also making sure that their medical needs are also taken care of as well since it was a total loss,” said Abigail Okui.
The families say luckily no one including the young children had any injuries in the fire.
“I’m just glad everybody got out safe. That’s the biggest thing,” said Black
Cox Media Group