Two children die from Memphis apartment fire, another in critical condition, MFD says

Memphis, Tenn. — Two small children, a boy and a girl, have died Sunday following an apartment fire in Memphis, according to the Memphis Fire Department.

Another child and an adult remain in critical condition, MFD said.

MFD said the fire happened at Pinebrook Pointe Apartments at 3500 Mediterranean Drive just after 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon.

RELATED: Dozens of people displaced after fire rips through apartments just before Christmas

According to police, the fire originated inside one of the apartment units of the two-story complex.

When FOX13′s Jonathan Marshall made it to the scene, 4 fire trucks were at the buildings along with several police cars.

MFD Public Information Officer Lt. Wayne Cook said that first responders immediately jumped into action.

“We laid multiple lines to the structure,” Cook said. “We made an aggressive attack on the interior of the structure and brought the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes.”

Though the fire didn’t burn long, it did damage.

All three children and an adult were found unresponsive inside of the apartment units and rushed from the scene to LeBonheur Children’s Hospital and Regional One Medical Center, respectively, in critical condition, police said.

RELATED: Child taken to Le Bonheur after fire breaks out at apartments, MFD says

It’s at LeBonheur that two of those children later died of their injuries.

Three apartment units were also damaged causing approximately $10,000 worth of destruction to property and a priceless loss of life.

Cook said that it’s still unclear if the victims had a smoke alarm in their apartment, but that it’s vitally important that everyone have one.

“Those smoke alarms are essential,” Cook said. “They will give you sufficient time to get out of the structure prior to the arrival of our fire crews.”

MFD advises that people should check their smoke detectors monthly and change the battery when you change your clocks.

City of Memphis residents can apply for a free smoke alarm here or call the Fire Museum of Memphis at 901-636-5650.

The Memphis Fire Department said that the fire was caused by cooking oil left on the stove unattended.