LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Community and school-sponsored team sports can resume today in Arkansas, according to a press release from the Arkansas Department of Health.
The team sports will resume in a phased approach for both adult and youth athletics.
Intercollegiate athletic team sports are not included in the reopening directive.
Bands are allowed to practice marching, and the use of non-wind instruments are allowed, according to the press release.
From the press release:
• Maintain minimum physical distancing of six feet between participants at all times, except when actively participating in the sports activity.
• Athletes, Coaches, and All Staff must be screened prior to any activity by asking the following questions and excluded if the answer is yes.
o Have had a fever of 100.4°F or greater in the last 2 days
o Have a cough, difficulty breathing, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell o Had contact with a person known to be infected with COVID-19 within the previous 14 days
• Coaches and All Staff must have temperature checked by digital thermometer prior to entry, and those whose temperature is greater than 100.4°F must be excluded.
• Face coverings that completely cover the nose and mouth are required for everyone 10 years of age or older for indoor sports. Face coverings are strongly encouraged for outdoor sports.
▪ Face coverings are strongly encouraged when not actively participating in an outdoor sports activity.
▪ Face coverings or masks must be worn during indoor sports where a face covering is not inhibitory.
o Coaches and Staff
▪ Face coverings must be worn at all times for indoor sports and are strongly encouraged for outdoor sports. • Use of communal spas, showers, saunas or other similar equipment are prohibited. Locker rooms may only be used for storage of personal items. Social distancing of 6 feet must be maintained in the locker room.
• An alcohol-based hand sanitizer or adequate handwashing facilities must be provided for use by all attendees. • Sports equipment, restrooms, lockers, water fountains and other high touch surfaces must be sanitized frequently during each event. For a list of cleaning products that will eliminate the Covid-19 virus, visit https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-ndisinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2. • Avoid non-sport related personal contact at all times. This includes, but is not limited to, huddles, high-fives, handshaking, fist-bumping, and chest-bumping.
• For games, competitions, tournaments, meets, and other athletic events held in a facility, the facility hosting the event must follow the current Directive for Large Indoor or Large Outdoor Venues. Spectators are covered under these Directives.
• For training and conditioning held in an athletic facility, the facility must follow the current Directive for Gym, Fitness Center, Athletic Club and Weight Rooms.
• Concession Stands may operate but must follow all applicable sections of the Directive for Resuming Restaurant Dine-In Operations.
• Admission and gate ticket sales should be taken online when possible.
To read the full directive, and for information on close contact team sports and limited contact team sports, click here.