MEMPHIS, Tenn. — According to a news release from the Overton Park Conservancy, blue-green algae, which can be harmful to dogs, has been found in Rainbow Lake.
"Blue-green algae, while it is present in many ecosystems and is often harmless, can occasionally produce toxins that can harm dogs if ingested," Overton Park Conservancy said.
Overton Park Conservancy said in the news release:
Overton Park Conservancy is urging visitors to comply with City of Memphis ordinance and leash dogs at all times in the park, except for inside the gates at Overton Bark.
The EPA said that the algae are releasing toxins that are harmless if you touch it, but local vets said it can be deadly if your dog drinks it.
Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.
Dr. Will Sweet told FOX13, "a few sips of water can be potentially lethal… other things and parts of the toxins can cause liver failure. And the only way to determine that is through blood work."
So far, there haven't been any reported cases of dogs getting sick from the green-blue algae, but vets are now urging pets to keep a watchful eye.
Sweet said the best preventative measure is to keep animals on a leash and away from stagnant bodies of water.
"Keep them from being exposed from the blue-green algae."
© 2020 Cox Media Group