• Baptist Memorial Hospital-Desoto evacuated after patient attempts to start fire in hospital room

    Updated:

    Several patients were evacuated from Baptist Memorial Hospital-Desoto after a patient started a fire in their room.

    Officials with the hospital said a patient tried to start a fire on the couch in the hospital room. 

    The fire only created smoke because of the material on the couch. Authorities said the smoke tripped the sprinkler system in the area.

    Twelve patients were evacuated from the hospital. Fire officials told FOX13 the 9th floor was evacuated for hours.

    The patients have been relocated to other rooms in the hospital. 


    Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.

    CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD


    Trending stories:


    Next Up: