A Shelby County Schools teacher and former Whitehaven star running back was arrested and charged with Sexual Battery and Sexual Battery by an Authority Figure.
According to the arrest affidavit, Mark Dodson, who starred at Whitehaven high school before playing college football at Ole Miss and Murray State, was in his car with a 13-year-old girl when the victim's mother found them together.
Dodson was smoking marijuana, however, he said he did not give it to the teen, according to an arrest affidavit.
The victim's mother called police. Two days later, Dodson went to a Memphis police station to 'clear his name.'
Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.
- Family fears missing Memphis man was fed to hogs; search for answers continues
- Former Hernando employee charged with sex crimes involving children
- Suspects lead police chase through downtown on ATVs and dirt bikes, cause thousands in damage
- PHOTOS: Mid-South's Most Wanted Fugitives
The alleged victim detailed two incidents where she was sexually harassed or assaulted by Dodson, court records said.
Dodson allegedly exposed himself to the victim and then rubbed her thigh area. He also asked her to perform a sexual act, but she refused, according to arresting documents.
In December of 2017, Dodson, who is a Special Education teacher and coach at Havenview Middle School, also allegedly touched the victim sexually in a classroom.
The coach admitted to police that he smoked weed and sat with the victim. However, he denied ever touching her.
Shelby County Schools issued a statement, saying Dodson has been removed from the school and was placed on administrative leave:
We are aware of the recent allegations against a Havenview Middle School employee and have taken all appropriate actions to notify security, law enforcement and district officials immediately after we were informed. The District takes these allegations very seriously, and this employee has been removed from the school and is on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.
SCS officials also provided additional clarification regarding the investigation:
- The initial report made to school administration concerned allegations related to an off-campus incident involving drug use. We took all appropriate actions to notify security, law enforcement and district officials once we were informed of the allegations.
- Since then, we’ve learned that a separate police report was filed against the employee that included additional allegations dating back to last year. SCS was not previously made aware of these allegations in the initial report.
- There are no previous reports of incidents of any matter related to this employee.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.