MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Three men have been called heroes after rescuing a family from a house fire.
MFD investigators were working a fire investigation Thursday evening in North Memphis in the 600 block of N. Dunlap.
“I told him it’s something going on, this is Smokey City, but it shouldn’t be smoking right now,” Toby Price said.
Michael Smith, Toby Price, and Eric Houston live across the street from the home.
“I knew I had to get to that room to get her out of there,” Smith said.
Smith told FOX13 the family who lived in the home have lived here for more than 40 years.
MFD said it took firefighters a little over an hour to get the fire under control.
They say they were the first on the scene to help get 32-year-old handicap woman out of the home.
“I kicked the back-door in. I grabbed the baby put her on my arm because she’s a big baby and when I was bringing her out the fire had me. So, I had nowhere to go. I went back into the room and kick the window out and gave these two guys the baby through the window,” Smith said.
The origin and cause of the fire was determined to be accidental; the oven was used as a heating source and ultimately malfunctioned in the kitchen area.
The structure sustained smoke, fire and water damage. Total damage is estimated at $26,800 structure and $26,000 contents.
Red Cross provided assistance for three adults.
Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.
© 2020 Cox Media Group