Memphis mother arrested during fight at local elementary school graduation, police say

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — An elementary school fight leaves a Memphis mother behind bars. Officers responded to a disturbance call at Westhaven Elementary Thursday morning.

When officers walked inside, the principal and school staff said several parents were fighting inside the gym during the school’s graduation ceremony.

Officers found several people standing and yelling at each other. The principal asked officers to remove suspect Erica Moody, 45, and her daughter from the school.

MPD said Moody fought another parent at the school during the graduation.

Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.

Trending stories:

Investigators asked Moody to leave the school. She grabbed her daughter, the victim, and another young girl by the shoulders.

MPD said the victim screamed at Moody to let her go several times, but Moody refused and started screaming louder.

The victim attempted to snatch away from Moody, but Moody grabbed the victim by her hair then started striking her with an open hand in the face several times.

Police grabbed Moody and snatched her away from the victim. She then continued to snatch away from officers and called them Satam while police put her in cuffs.

Moody was eventually arrested and taken to Jail East. She’s been charged with criminal trespass, disorderly conduct, domestic assault-bodily harm, and resisting official detention.

Another incident involving a student and the school secretary happened minutes later. Officers said students entered the office unannounced and screamed at the staff "shut up talking to me."

One student then walked towards the back of the office. The victim went after the student to remove her from the office.

Police say the young girl dropped her jacket and books to the floor, then started to attack the victim. The student hit the victim several times in the stomach with a closed fist before officers detained her.

The juvenile was detained by police, then released to her mother.