MEMPHIS, Tenn. - More developments are unfolding about the man killed in an officer-involved shooting in Whitehaven Wednesday night.
Memphis police arrested Abdoulaye Thiam, 20 – the man shot and killed by police – for threatening to harm family members with a knife in 2017.
FOX13 discovered two police reports that describe two incidents where Thiam expressed abusive behavior toward his family.
In 2014, MPD responded to Thiam’s home in the 1300 block of Timothy Drive after police said the then 16-year-old assaulted his father.
Thiam’s father had very little to say about the 2014 incident.
- Man shot, killed by MPD officers had history of incidents with police
- Family questioning use of deadly force after man shot, killed by 3 MPD officers
- Memphis man victim of Tennessee's first officer-involved shooting in 2019
- Police turn over body cam footage to TBI after 3 MPD officers shoot, kill man armed with knife
“No, I don't know nothing about that,” Chouaibou Thiam said.
A report from March 2017 said Thiam threatened to kill four of his family members using a knife. In that incident officers called an MPD Crisis Intervention Team officer to the home.
Thiam’s family declined to speak about the past incidents Friday night.
According to Memphis police records, in 2017 MPD CIT officers were called to Thiam’s home two other times – in May and July.
Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.
- 14-year-old charged with first-degree murder after double shooting at Memphis apartment complex
- Duo that led MPD on high-speed chase responsible for multiple robberies across city, police say
- Police: Babysitter dressed dead infant, tried to hide death
- PHOTOS: Mid-South’s Most Wanted Fugitives
A police spokesperson told FOX13 in all three of those incidents, CIT officers said Thiam “did not meet the criteria for CIT intervention.”
MPD said in those incidents Thiam didn’t appear to be a threat to harming himself.
A CIT officer was not on the scene before the shooting Wednesday night.
No one at the home tonight could confirm if Abdoulaye ever received mental attention.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.