MEMPHIS, Tenn. - MPD has identified each officer involved in the shooting in South Memphis.
Here are the names of each officer involved:
- Officer Jamarcus Jeames (26) (Involved in the initial traffic stop and is the officer who fired shots) Hired: March of 2017
- Christopher Nowell (27) (Involved in initial traffic stop and made the scene after shooting occurred) Hired: September of 2014
- Michael R. Williams II (27) (Involved in the initial traffic stop and made the scene as the shooting occurred) Hired: August of 2015
Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland released the following statement:
"The investigation is proceeding as it should, and we remain committed to finding out exactly what happened."
Williams II is the son of the Memphis Police Association President Michael Williams.
He has a prior case where he was accused of turning off his body camera during a traffic stop in August of 2017. Reports say he was given a written reprimand as punishment in that case.
Officer Williams also has two accidents on his record -- he was given a reprimand for this as well.
Martavious Banks was shot by police during a traffic stop -- each officer had their body cameras turned off during the shooting.
Related Stories -
- Mayor speaks after body cameras didn't capture MPD officer shooting man; 3 officers relieved of duty
- PHOTOS: ‘Armed driver' shot by police officer after traffic stop in South Memphis
- Family: Criminal history of Martavious Banks doesn't justify MPD officer shooting him
The three officers were "relieved of duty" pending an investigation.
Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.
- 3 people killed, 2 others hurt after shooting at South Memphis apartment complex
- Woman shot, found on side of the road
- Testimony continues during day 2 of Jessica Chambers murder case
- PHOTOS: Mid-South’s Most Wanted Fugitives
© 2019 Cox Media Group.