Officer identified after alleged suspect shoots deputy, kills himself during barricade situation

WATCH: Deputy recovering, suspect dead following stand-off in Marshall County

MARSHALL COUNTY, Miss. — The man accused of shooting a sheriff's deputy Friday night in Marshall County killed himself, according to Sheriff Kenny Dickerson.

Investigators have identified the man killed as Randy Vaught. The deputy injured has been identified as Daniel Tatum.

Officer Tatum has been with Marshall County for five years. Dickerson said Tatum had surgery and is expected to be okay.

Content Continues Below

Deputies stopped Vaught for a traffic stop on Mt. Zion Road. When officers asked for a license and proof of insurance, Vaught didn't have either and sped off.

Investigators said Vaught had two other people, possibly friends, with him.

The chase ended at Vaught's home on Hunter's Run. Officers said he ran to the back of the home and his friends were taken into custody.

Vaught's friends also said he had a gun with him during the chase.

Officer Tatum followed Vaught to the back of the house where he was met with gunfire. The deputy was shot, fell to the ground and then played dead.

Investigators said Vaught stood over the deputy and shot him again in the chest area. Dickerson said the deputy was wearing a bulletproof vest which saved his life.

“The suspect did in fact approach him while he was lying there helpless and shot him several more times in the chest area,” said Dickerson.

There was at least one bullet lodged into the vest itself.

Officer Tatum was pulled to safety by other deputies and then airlifted to Regional One.

Vaught went back into the house and requested to talk to Dickerson, who said he's known Vaught since he was a child.

The sheriff was talking to Vaught's mother and Vaught, trying to talk him down.

“I knew from talking to him along with his mom over at the corner of the house that he was not the Randy Vaught that I knew, and I’ve known all his life. He was cursing, hollering,” said Dickerson.

Eventually, they got Vaught out of the house nearly three hours later by throwing tear gas into the home. He was making his way toward the sheriff when he kneeled down and shot himself.

Deputies searched the home and found a suicide note that had the words "sorry mama" on top.

Two friends in the car said Vaught had taken crystal meth before the chase. Both friends are in police custody. Officials said they are cooperating with the case.

Officials said Vaught has been in trouble recently. He had been out on bond prior to the incident.

Vaught had been out of jail on a $100,000 bond for a rape charge, according to the Marshall County Sheriff’s Office.

The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is investigating the shooting, which is standard procedure.

DEPUTY SHOT UPDATE: Marshall County officials are providing new information surrounding the barricade situation that left a deputy shot.

Posted by FOX13 Memphis on Saturday, April 13, 2019

Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.

Trending stories: