Southaven Walmart closed 'until further notice' following deadly shooting

WATCH: Southaven Walmart closed 'until further notice' following deadly shooting

SOUTHAVEN, Miss. — A Mid-South Walmart at the center of a tragic shooting is closed until further notice.

Yesterday, police flooded the parking lot of the Walmart in Southaven. Today, a cleaning crew is working inside the store and a large electric sign reads "Walmart closed until further notice."

Content Continues Below

FOX13 has reached out to Walmart to learn more information about when it could reopen.

Anyone with pharmacy needs at that store is asked to use the Walmart at 2401 Goodman Road in Horn Lake.

Walmart officials said they are offering programs to help employees, and that processes are in place to make sure there is minimal disruption to employees’ pay.

Even though the store is closed until further notice, shifts are available to employees to help with the clean-up process because of the fire. Officials said a lost of “recovery work” needs to be done.

Nearby Walmart stores are also giving employees at the Southaven location temporary shifts.

According to officials, Walmart offers its employees a “rigorous quarterly training program,” which started in 2014. It teaches employees how to respond in different situations, such as crime prevention and active shooters.

Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.

Trending stories:

Walmart officials released the following statement concerning the incident --

The entire Walmart family is heartbroken by the loss of two valued members of our team. We feel tragedies like this personally, and our hearts go out to the families of our two associates and the officer who was injured. We are relieved the suspect was apprehended, and we appreciate the quick response of the local authorities and our associates. We’ll continue to focus on assisting law enforcement in their investigation and on supporting our associates.

Background of the shooting

Southaven police arrived on the scene about three minutes after the call.

One employee was shot inside the store, another employee was shot outside the store. Both were killed. Families of the victims confirmed their identities as Brandon Gales and Anthony Brown.

A Southaven officer was also shot during the incident, but he is expected to be ok. The bulletproof vest he was wearing stopped the bullet. He was released from the hospital Wednesday around 1:30 p.m. and is recovering at home.